Author and Scriptwriter

'Among the most important writers of contemporary British horror.' -Ramsey Campbell

Friday 19 June 2020

The Lockdown with... Gary McMahon


Gary McMahon writes stories. Some of them have been published and received favourable reviews. He is also the author of several novels, and hope to write another one soon. He holds a black belt in shotokan karate and watches way too many horror movies for his own good.



1. Tell us three things about yourself.

I'm a black belt in shotokan karate. I have a torn meniscus. Legally, my middle name is Zed.


2. Many writers have said the COVID-19 outbreak and the lockdown have made it harder for them to create. Have you found this? Has the outbreak affected you as a writer and if so, how?

The lockdown has put me into a kind of creative paralysis. I can't write. I can't even read. I think it's more to do with issues I'm having with my day job than anything else – I moved companies last summer and it's proven to be the biggest mistake of my career. Because of the COVID crisis, I'm now stuck there.


3. What was the first thing you had published?

A short story in a small press 'zine called Nasty Piece of Work.


4. Which piece of writing are you proudest of?

My latest collection, Some Bruising May Occur.


5. …and which makes you cringe?

Lots of early stuff that, thankfully, I've forgotten.


6. What’s a normal writing day like?

I don't have writing days. Writing hours or minutes; like stolen moments with an illicit lover.






7. What work of yours would you recommend for people on lockdown and in need of a good book?



8. What are you working on now?

A novella called You Are Not Like Us. I've also been working for five or six years on a haunted house novel called The Quiet Room.


1 comment:

Ratraco Solutions said...

Hiện nay, dịch vụ vận chuyển hàng hóa bằng đường sắt tuyến từ Nam ra Bắc ngày càng gia tăng. Để phục vụ nhu cầu của khách hàng hàng, đơn vị dịch vụ vận chuyển đường sắt Ratraco Solutions mang đến cho quý khách hàng các dịch vụ như: Vận chuyển đường sắt, vận chuyển đường bộ và vận chuyển đường biển.