Author and Scriptwriter

'Among the most important writers of contemporary British horror.' -Ramsey Campbell

Monday 22 February 2010

The Song, At Last, Is Sung...

Yup- last night, or rather in the early hours of this morning, I finished the first draft of my new novel, The Song Of The Sibyl.

I started work on this nearly a year ago now. Bear in mind, I tend to write pretty fast, so that's a long time for me. Took nearly five months to get the first five chapters written as samples for an interested publisher. Normally if something is such tough going, I'll abandon it, assume that it's just not time to write this yet... but the novel wouldn't let me go.

In the end, I realised that one of the storylines I'd put in there was just pointless and unnecessary, so out it went. And the rest of the chapters were easily written.

So writing this mother started in earnest back in November, with a break over Christmas/January to write a couple of short stories, and finished last night, around about 4.00 am.

It's one big Bertha of a novel. 171,151 words in first draft. I'm knackered, but proud.

Of course, the work's barely started. I still have to do a megaton of rewrites and research, and find a publisher- the interested one decided it wasn't quite right for them- but right now, and for the next few days, me is just gonna chill out, bask (to the extent you can in the weather here oop North right now) and recharge a few batteries.

One of my New Year's Resolutions was to post on this blog more often- like, say, once a week- and to post about shit other than me and my writing. That one needs some catching up on, I know.

But until next time, be excellent to one another, dudes.

5 comments:

Cate Gardner said...

*Picks herself up off the floor*

That is some word count... Congrats.

Simon said...

Thanks, Cate. Hope you didn't hurt yourself falling there! Then again, if it didn't hurt falling from heaven... ;)

Unknown said...

Bloody well done! But ... a year for 171,000 words? You idle fucker! I've been working on the same novel for nearly six years, and the bastard thing isn't finished yet ... and it's word count is 171,001 words!

So eat shit, my friend, eat shit!

Simon said...

Chris, as ever, mate, I grovel before your sheer awesomeness. :)

Mark West said...

Well done, Simon, good for you and good luck!